Stuttgart, 1779 - Stuttgart, 1833
Konrad Schweickle Heinrich
Having trained at the end of the eighteenth century at the School of Fine Arts in Paris and at the atelier of J. L. David, Konrad Heinrich Schweickle transferred to Rome in 1802 where he was introduced to Antonio Canova and Thorvaldsen. In 1806, he arrived in Naples with the painters J. B. Wicar and Berger to implement the reform of the Academy of Fine Arts, where he first taught sculpture and later drawing. In 1812, he was chosen by Gioacchino Murat to be supervisor of the decorative works of the Mars and Astraea Rooms. During the same period, he was commissioned to create the statues Faith and Saint Louis for the Church of San Ferdinando in Naples. In 1822, he began sculpting the statue of Saint Louis King of France for the gable of the Church of San Francesco di Paola, finished the following year. Schweickle was also responsible for the alabaster bust depicting Maria Carolina of Hapsburg, held at the Palace of Caserta and now displayed in the Halberdiers room.