Florence, 1740 - Naples, 1806
Angelo Maria Brunelli (Angelo Brunelli)
Between 1779 and 1789, Angelo Brunelli worked at the factory of the Royal Palace of Caserta, where he was involved in the decoration of the Halberdiers Room together with Andrea Calì. In 1798, he was assigned the task of assessing certain marble pieces deposited in the Royal Laboratory of Semi-Precious Stones. In 1803, he sculpted the colossal Portrait of Ferdinand IV of Bourbon at Montecassino, by now a clear subscriber to the new neoclassical style. In the same year he was nominated professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Naples, dedicating himself almost exclusively to the restoration and production of ancient statues.